Monday, January 11, 2010

ER vs. Vicodin

I'm in bed nursing a sore back. In July 2008 I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis,dorsal tears around some discs, herniated discs, etc. I had severe pain in my left hip, back radiating and burning down to my knee. Childbirth was easier to manage than that pain! 2 epidural steroid injections and 3 months of Physical Therapy later, I returned to my nursing position @ Hoag Memorial Presbyterian Hospital.

I've had "twinges" in my back. And some little pains that I always have been able to remedy through what I learned in Physical Therapy. Most recently in October 09, I discovered wearing the wrong shoes caused me problems. At that time I tried to see my orthopedic md. I was told no appts were available until the following week. Here I was in pain with good insurance and couldn't get an appt.
I managed to treat myself and things were ok until this weekend. Actually I think part of the problem stemmed from how busy we were on Friday @ work. I didn't sit down for lunch or visit the lady's room until 7 hours into my shift. We normally don't get breaks, so I am used to the pace. I can usually grab some water and bathroom time. ( I suppose some people might call those breaks! ) On Friday that wasn't the case. I came home exhausted and had heart palpatations from fatigue and not hydrating.
Saturday still feeling tired, went for a beachwalk. Then on Sunday repeated the walk. I did feel twinges in my right hip, back and groin area on Friday night and Saturday. But on my Sunday walk I had to lay down on the sand and stretch and wait until I could walk home.
I took 2 vicodin and slept Sunday afternoon. The pain was lessened, but not gone.
This morning I called the doctor, told the appointment lady that I was in pain ( I always tell them I'm a nurse@ Hoag hoping this would get me in to see the doc. It never works!) She then asks me my insurance.( it's a PPO.) I also tell her that I'm in enough pain to go to ER, but I find that to be a misuse of medical benefits! Guess what? She tells me she can't get me into see anyone!
Am I crazy? I have insurance. I want to see a doc in an office setting. I have never been one to use the ER for care. That's why ER is so overcrowded. I hung up and started to cry! Said Screw it! And took another Vicodin! If the pain overtakes the pills, I'll blog from ER!
Otherwise, it's time for me to sleep!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment